Friday, December 17, 2010

Be The Change Challenge

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." -Mahatma Gandhi

A simple quote powerful enough to change the world. This Holiday season I want to ask all of you to take the "Be the Change" Challenge.

The idea for this challenge was stirred by a letter I received from my step-mom. It was forwarded to her from a co-worker and was written for a man named Hobo Phil.

Hobo Phil is a client of the Springs Resource Program. He asked the Resource Advocate Coordinator if she would write a letter for him about the Holidays and forward it to her friends and family. See letter below.

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

Hi my name is Hobo Phil (as my friends call me). I am a homeless person on the streets of Colorado Springs. I got here by bad judgments by myself most of my life. But being here on the streets has opened my eyes to what is important and vital to our success and survival. Love and compassion for your fellow man, forgiveness to yourself and others is the greatest gift you can give or receive.

I am also a bell-ringer. Yes, one of those people you turn away from. You say to yourself, I don’t see him, I hope he doesn’t say anything to me. Not because I’m homeless because you don’t know that. I’m just a bell-ringer. I have learned a lot from doing this job that no amount of money could buy and no school can teach. You the people of Colorado Springs have taught me. An elderly lady and a gentleman put money into my donation box and I told them both “merry Christmas” and the man told me thank you for saying ‘Merry Christmas’. The elderly lady said “yes, what he said. Thank you for saying Merry Christmas”. Many other elderly people have said the same thing. That stuck in my head. As I was going down the streets of Colorado Springs downtown there were some young college girls giving free hugs. They were making people smile and feel good about themselves for a while. Thanks. I was one of them.

I was looking at the lights and the people and remembering when I was a small child. The joy of the lights and the Christmas carolers going door-to-door and up and down the streets making people smile and joyful. Whatever happened to that? And it costs nothing. Just a little kindness and giving of themselves to make someone else’s day a little more joyful and making them forget their troubles for just a slight moment. Money won’t buy that. Only you can give it. Try it. It won’t cost you anything. So don’t be afraid to drop a penny or whatever you can afford when you pass us. Say “hello”, “Merry Christmas” or whatever. Even the Scrooge said “Bah, humbug” and look what happened to him.

Let’s get back to what we were taught when we were little ourselves and show and teach the younger generation what we have forgotten. It’s not lost. Just remember. Bring it back. The true meaning of Christmas…remember that hugs are free. Hugs are good. Make someone else smile. It won’t cost you anything. If you concur with what I say, email this to a friend and help spread the Christmas Joy. This will be one of my best Christmases because I have remembered. Thanks you for listening, and as Red Skelton would say, “Merry Christmas and God Bless”.


-Hobo Phil


It was Hobo Phil's message about love and compassion for humankind that struck me most. How often do we go about our day, so consumed with our own life that we miss the small opportunities to change someone's life? Think of the ripple effect of goodness you might have just by engaging the person checking you out in line. Asking them sincerely how they are doing. Giving them a genuine smile. Thanking them for their help and really meaning it.


A friend posted on Facebook a "thank you" to an anonymous person that paid for both her and a friend's soup at lunchtime. She didn't know who it was, but vowed to do something for someone else. To pay it forward.


Often times we don't do anything because we are paralyzed by how much needs to be done. Just start with something small.


Once you have been the change, post what you did here and inspire others.


Ready. Set. Be the change!

No comments:

Post a Comment