Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Who Would You Be--If You Thought You Could


I have a teenager who volunteers for me at work. I will call him, "Neil" for anonymity sake. 'Neil' is 16. He approached me some months ago for a job as a personal trainer. He explained with an incredible amount of earnestness that he had personally experienced a life changing transformation because of fitness and he wanted to share his newfound knowledge with others. I told 'Neil' that while I didn't have a job for him, per say, I could offer him a volunteer position. He responded quickly that he felt he was over-qualified for a volunteer position and would "think about it."

After a few weeks of thinking about it, 'Neil' agreed to a volunteer position in the fitness center. His role was to make members feel welcome and answer questions. In short, he was to be helpful. In his volunteer role, 'Neil' and I had the opportunity to get to know each other better. I asked him what his life plan was; where did he want to go to college, what was his career path. I fully expected with his passion for fitness, to respond that he in fact wanted MY job. (insert smugness) Instead, he responded without a second of pause that he wanted to attend a prestigious University in Texas, major in Political Science and would one day be President of the United States. I couldn't help but smile.

When I was a youngster, I used to tell people confidently, that I wanted to be both a brain surgeon AND a break dancer when I "grew up." I remember their laughs and the way they would pat me on the head. "Oh--she's so creative! So ambitious! A break dancer AND a brain surgeon?!" Remembering the way those adults made me feel, I looked right at 'Neil' and said, "Well, aren't I lucky to know and have worked with the future President of the United States."

I have thought about 'Neil's' unabashed belief in who he will become many times since our conversation. In part, because he tells every person he meets his "plan" but, mostly because his desire stirs something within me.

I teach fitness classes and do personal training all day long with people who have lost the vision about who they will become. They feel they are too old, too out of shape, too whatever to become that dream that they once held.

FACT: People change their lives every single day. People pick up as single parents with three kids and go back to school. People take a chance on a dream idea and end up making millions. People start walking one day and a year later are running a marathon.

So, I ask you this, "who could you be--if you thought you could?" Let that marinate... Now, write it down. Don't be shy. Dare to dream big--HUGE even. Ask yourself this, "Why is that dream not possible?" Write all those reasons down and forget them. For every reason you can't, respond with a reason you can. Hold yourself accountable. Tell a best friend or your partner your dream. Share it with a career coach or a personal trainer.

While I didn't grow up to be a b-girl or a brain surgeon, I do wake up every day ready to take chances, inspire people and dream big. So I challenge you tomorrow to wake up armed with with the vision of who you can be and just "go be it."

"It's a funny thing about life: if you refuse to accept anything but the best, you very often get it."

-William Somerset Maugham


3 comments:

  1. I can't agree more with the statement that we as humans on a daily basis change, ever evolving, molding and changing. I've gone through many changes in my life over the past years, from dish washer/line-cook/sous chef, Starbucks coffee master and shift leader, bartender, race runner, cyclist/spin instructor, a handful of triathlons and body sculpt teacher. I as of late have finally taken my own advice that I give and believe. I've started cutting the fat so to speak and really why not!The advice I give to people and speak of is follow your dreams, go with your heart, and do your best whatever and wherever you go; Go big or Go home. Recently I have been teaching at least two spin classes and one body sculpt class in addition to fitness coaching. I want to inspire and set a reputation for myself and others that you can do anything, it's mind over matter. It's finding that drive what makes you tick, go through your day with that determination that others see and aspire to have, and little do they know they actually posses it, they just need to find it in themselves.I want to be a personal trainer, nutritionist, an amazing cyclist and runner and lastly a mom. So cutting the fat for me was rather easy, it was more of a time management process as to when to take action. October 29 will end my 7 year Starbucks endeavor, and I will continue to tackle all of the aspects I listed above.The last one will be time, but the rest is something I have wanted since I was a child.Doing laps around the house, playing coach with the neighborhood children, seeing how many crunches or pull ups I could beat my dad by, cycle to the beach and back as many times and as fast as possible and watching all those cheesy workout shows. Hearing someone say "I'm going to sit next to you, you're an amazing spinner, I'm hoping it'll rub off on me." My reply was "that's very flattering, but it isn't me or the bike, It's you and your drive on that chain, give it up, and drop those heels and look up." On or off the bike, in or out of running shoes, do what makes you scared, step outside your comfort zone, the people there and around you that your inspiring will bring you back to the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've often struggled with this question as I feel I've often been pulled (and pushed) in different directions both from talents of mine as well as friends and family members, and often just end up feeling exhausted and dissatisfied. Vocationally speaking, with one large exception, I've keep coming back to the non-profit sector in some capacity, and I've come to realize that while their may not be one "true calling", I do find enormous satisfaction in *being useful* to those around me, especially when what I'm doing takes advantage of those different skills and talents I've acquired over the years.

    So the person I want to be, if I could (and I can), is to be one that is utilize those talents that I have to be of purposeful, positive use to the community and country in which I live. Wherever that may end up being.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wake up every day thinking...today will be the day that I figure out what I want to be when I grow up. Every day I want to be that perfect partner, daughter, friend and human being. I want to be that person that makes the world a better place. There have been many days when I want to sell the loft, sell the cars, sell all our belongings and build a girls school in Mexico, Colombia or Africa. Then my partner reminds me that we can do that right now. :)
    Recently my inspiration has become....I want to be that person at the gym that is so fit and healthy. I want my physical body to be more like my mental and spiritual body. I'm growing into the person that I want to be every day. And I like it, it makes me happy to become more of myself every day.

    ReplyDelete